Monday, July 11, 2016

The Outer Banks of North Carolina

In June we spent an amazing week at the Outer Banks.

The last time I was in the Outer Banks was when I was very little, maybe five years old, so I do not have any memories of being there. James has vacationed there before and Madie went in Middle School. My in-laws recently purchased a brand new, very nice camper and have been enjoying traveling all over the place and camping and have offered us to use the campers. We decided to take them up on the offer for this years beach trip. They went down to the Outer Banks the week before and stayed and then we met half way, traded cars and we went down and stayed the second week and they came on back. Madie was not planning to come, she had a lot going on with school and had a final exam middle of the week.

We stayed in Waves, just below Rhodanthe and yes we did go find the Nights in Rhodanthe House!

The campground was small, which is the way we like it. We no longer have little kids so we don’t need all the kiddie stuff that some of the other campgrounds have like water slides, swing sets, etc. This makes the campground a bit more quite since all the families with small children choose the other campgrounds. We were very close to the beach and having a trolley to tote all of our stuff back and forth made it easy to get to and from the beach pretty quickly.

We arrived on Saturday and walked on the beach as soon as we arrived!

Sunday I woke up and ran an easy but hot and humid three miles up toward Rhodathe! There were little tiny baby frogs hoping all over the sidewalk!

I spent the day lying on the beach from 10am – 2pm and soaked up the sun! The ocean seriously recharges my soul!

When I got back to the camper James and Tess where stressing because all communication to Hatteras Island had been cut! Yep, no cell towers, so no service, no internet, not cable, no nothing! I did sort feel uncomfortable not having cell service, in case Madie needed to reach me! We got ready and decided to head north to try and get service and we stopped for dinner too! It was yummy! 
By the time we got back service to the island was restored! Thank goodness!
That evening we watched a beautiful sunset over the Pamlico Sound.

Monday I woke up and ran three miles in the other direction toward Salvo. It had rained quite a bit the week before and several roads were still covered with water!

Monday we all spent the day at the beach again. We were so lucky to have beautiful days!

That evening we went ghost crabbing! There are crabs galore on this beach!! When the tide rolls in so do these little fellows! They ranged in size from the size of a nickle to the size of a softball! We saw both ghost crabs and sand crabs. 

Tuesday morning I woke up and took a three mile walk on the beach, it was beautiful. 

We took the day to explore a bit of the Outer Banks. 

We explored Pea Island’s peacefulness.

We visted Bodie Island Lighthouse.

We saw where the Wright Brothers took the first flight! 

We went to Jockey’s Ridge and saw the massive sand dunes! 

  We enjoyed a great dinner with a beautiful view at Miller's Waterfront Resturaunt in Naggs Head. 

I had signed Tess and I up for a local 5K while we were in town so we also had to pick up race packets that evening.

Wednesday morning Tess and I got up super early and drove to Nags Head for the Sunrise 5K! It was great! 

The rest of the day we enjoyed the beach (surfers galore) and had a great evening.

Thursday we spent the day again at the beach and Madie decided to come down and arrived that afternoon. 

I love to search for unusual shells. I have collected Jingle Shells or Mermaid Toenails for years and love to find them!

I also love finding Jackknife Shells. 

This year I also found Mermaid Purses. I have never found these before so I was tickled!

We went out for dinner that night, watched the sunset again over the sound and built a fire on the beach under the light of the moon!

Friday we saw the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse. We climbed the stairs to the top to get a view of this gorgeous island.

We then took the ferry to Ocracoke. We originally were going to do this earlier in the week but since Madie decided to come down we decided to wait on her. It was a fine trip but I can say that we will most likely never do it again. There are no bridges. The ferry is a drive on ferry so you can take your car. If we ever go to Ocracoke it will be to stay not to visit. In order to get from Hatteras Island to Ocracoke you have to take a ferry. We had to wait one hour on the ferry, the ferry ride it’s self was about 45 minutes. 

Once we were on the island we stopped for a late lunch at the Ocracoke Oyster Company which was yummy and then we toured the island. 

The island is very small so we had seen it all in about 45 minutes. We stopped at the British Cemetery, we walked out on the beach and we saw the Ocracoke Light House. That was just about all there was aside from houses and restaurants. We then headed back to wait another 30-45 minutes for the return ferry with another 45 minute ferry ride.

Friday was a lot of sitting in the car and we quickly realized that the plan was to return home on Saturday which meant another long day in the car… James called the campground and extended our stay for an extra night!! That was a great call!!

We enjoyed the gorgeous Saturday on the beach relaxing all day and headed home on Sunday.

This was certainly one of my favorite vacations and I hope to soon one day return to the NC Outer Banks! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...